Top coaches advise YOU which implement to choose
Choosing a throwing implement can be mind-boggling...
Are high-spin or low-spin discus better? What do javelin distance and flex ratings mean? What size shot is best? Why does the diameter of a hammer matter? And most important of all..... how do you know which is best for you, now, at your stage of throwing?
Which shot, hammer, javelin or discus is best for you?
If you are unsure of which implement to choose, take these steps:
- Have a look at our 'How to...' videos and guides to see if the information is there. See our YouTube channel here.
- Speak to your coach, as they know your throwing style best.
- See if a friend has a different implement that they would let you try (remember Covid-19 safety rules on cleaning equipment between athletes)
If you would like further advice on which implement would best suit your throwing style, Neuff has a partnership with top UK coaches at England Throws Camp, Loughborough University and Valhalla Throws Academy who will review your throwing and recommend a shortlist. (See their bio's at the bottom of the page.)
- Take a couple of videos of you throwing your current implement from different angles
- Take a photo of you holding your current implement
- Tell us:
- how far you currently throw and which implement you are using
- what you are trying to get out of your throwing
- how long you have been throwing for
- Post your video and comments to Instagram or Facebook, tagging #advicepleasecoach @Neuff Athletic , @
Valhallathrowsacademy, @englandthrowscamps and @loughborough_throws
- or email your videos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stuart is the founder of England Throws Camps.
A shot and discus coach based in Northamptonshire, Stuart is a former member of the National Coach Development Program and is currently a member of the British Athletics Futures Programme and National Talent Event Lead at England Athletics. Stuart held team coach positions for a number of England and GB teams in 2019. He has delivered a number of Shot Masterclasses for England Athletics and has a B.Sc in Sports Science.
In 2019 Athletes coached by Stuart achieved 16 national medals, 8 national titles, a top 8 European finish and 2 national records in both Shot Put and Discus.
Paul has been coaching for a number of years having been a discus thrower when younger, but his career was cut short by a serious knee injury at age 17. Paul coaches athletes of all abilities and ages from 12 upwards, and coaches Scott Lincoln and other top athletes.
Gary was a national standard discus thrower for 20+ years gaining international honours for GB and England on 3 occasions. He was the British Police Champion 15 times and as well as winning the European and World Police Championships. As a masters athlete, Gary won the World M40 Masters title in 2001.
Gary has now been coaching all the heavy throws for over 20 years and has coached athletes at all levels from complete beginner to Olympic. A number of his athletes have broken British records and achieved medals in national championships. Gary was the National Coach for discus for 2 years and a leading member of the NCDP Programme. He’s also mentored many coaches whose athletes have gone on to achieve national representation themselves.
David is Head Throws Coach at Loughborough University with a specialism in the Javelin Throw. He coaches Paralympic Champion Hollie Arnold and is the England event lead for the javelin throw as well as the Great Britain Team Coach. David is also expert in Safeguarding in sport, coaching, athlete welfare and youth development.
David coordinates the throws coaching and support services for throws at Loughborough university, so is a great person to know for any throws athletes interested in studying at Loughborough.